About Jim Normand, President
Jim Normand’s areas of expertise are auto and motorcycle accidents, wrongful death settlements, probate litigation and estate planning.
Practicing law in New Hampshire since 1980, Attorney Normand has been active in community activities. In 1973, while a sophomore at the University of New Hampshire at age 20, he was elected the youngest member of the N.H. State Legislature. He graduated Cum Laude from Whittemore School of Business and Economics at UNH while serving in the Legislature and chairing the House Appropriations sub-committee on the Administration of Justice, and also chairing the 48-member Manchester Legislative Delegation.
He graduated from The Boston University School of Law in 1980 and was admitted to the New Hampshire Bar that year. In 1986 he opened his own law firm, starting with one secretary and two rooms, which steadily grew to provide a wide range of legal services with attorneys concentrating in different practice areas including injury insurance recovery, workers’ comp., social security disability, marital, criminal, motor vehicle, wrongful death recoveries, probate, guardianships and estate planning.
Attorney Normand has served on the NH Executive Branch Ethics Committee and previously served on the Governor’s Executive Council, representing 20% of the State of New Hampshire. He previously served as President of the Manchester Bar Association and on the Board of Governors of the New Hampshire Trial Lawyers Association and Greater Manchester Development Corporation.
He was the prior Chair of the St. Mary’s Bank Audit Committee and Manchester Planning Board and is presently on the New Hampshire Superior Court Civil Panel of Mediators and the Business Law Court Mediation Panel.
He is presently the Army Reserve Ambassador for New Hampshire, holding a two star protocol rank, and previously served as the Civilian Aide to the Secretary of the Army for New Hampshire.
Membership and Honors in Injured Victims Associations
National Association for Justice
NH Association for Justice
National and NH Bar Associations
Recognized in the Top 100 Civil Plaintiff Attorneys for 2019
“I’m very grateful for the talented team of experienced legal professionals at Normand | Higham. They bring diverse life experiences and are at the cutting edge of the law. Our licensed insurance adjusters are now working for injured individuals and their families with great success. Our team of talented paralegals will help bring a competent and cost effective approach to our practice of law. If we accept your case, your problem is our problem. We’ll make sure we find a speedy and cost effective solution.”
Call us with your questions. It’s free.
Attorney Normand can be reached by:
• $750,000 settlement for a 59 year old grandmother who was shopping for vegetable plants at an open air market, when she was struck by a car entering the parking lot. The client sustained a severe leg fracture causing permanent damage and likely future knee replacement surgery. Permanent disability ensued creating significant loss of earnings and medical expenses.
• $425,000 settlement for a 29 year old who was struck by a drunk driver while riding his bicycle. The client sustained severe injuries to his leg and back, a skull fracture as well as traumatic brain injury rendering him totally disabled and eligible for Social Security Disability benefits. The drunk driver had inadequate insurance and the claim against the bar that over served the drunk driver.
• $400,000 jury verdict. Client injured by runaway delivery truck accepted our recommendation to reject a low insurance company offer. A New Hampshire jury awarded a verdict six times greater than the previous insurance company offer.
• $150,000 total settlement for a logging truck driver injured when an underinsured careless driver cut him off in traffic. A settlement was reached for the maximum insurance coverage available to the other driver with an additional $100,000 paid by the logging truck’s insurance company. Minor physical injuries including strain to his neck, back, and thumb, with significant anxiety and PTSD.
• $110,000 combined settlement. Active senior citizen was hit by a careless driver who only had a $50,000 liability policy. After our client’s doctors helped to document her injuries caused by this crash, the other driver’s insurance company paid their entire policy limit. We made an underinsured motorist claim against our client’s personal auto policy and they paid an additional $60,000 to reach a fair settlement.
• Trust to avoid probate – Clients were interested in transferring their assets to their children after they died without the delay and cost of probate. They also wanted assistance from their children in their lifetime as they aged and required assistance with their financial affairs. We were able to meet both goals with a Revocable Trust along with power of attorney for financial matters, power of attorney for healthcare and a healthcare release of information.
See the case results page and remember that every case is different and our past results cannot guarantee the outcome of your particular claim.