Is anyone interested in serving on the NH Executive Branch Ethics Committee? We meet for 2 hours about 10 times a year. Our jurisdiction is over NH Executive Branch officials and appointed board and commission members. Two vacancies are available for appointment by the Govenor. One for a Democrat, and one for an independent. Direct interest to Jim Normand or directly to the governor’s office at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Normand | Higham Legal Blog
This October, make sure your family’s Halloween is full of treats, not tricks, with these Top Halloween Safety Tips to include in your personal protection plan:
- Be Cautious – Car accidents involving pedestrians see a sharp spike every Halloween – do not become a statistic! Make sure everyone is always looking both ways before crossing the street (hand-holding recommended but not required).
- Avoid Driving During Peak Trick-or-Treating Times – On the same note, play it cool for the night and stay off the road for a few hours while the little monsters roam. Pedestrian traffic and drunk-driving numbers are at an all-time high on Halloween night.
- Stay in Familiar Areas – Everyone knows Mrs. Robinson on the corner gives out the king-size candy bars. Set boundaries, and establish your child’s route before they leave.
- Arrive with Them, Leave with Them – Nobody wants to go looking for a missing Jedi in the middle of the party, so keep an eye on your friends.
- Keep the Tricks to a Minimum – Not everyone shares the same Halloween spirit, so don’t turn your night of fun into a night of fright. Understand the dangers of “harmless” pranks like egging, ding-dong ditching, and scaring innocent trick-or-treaters.
A New Hampshire teenager recently died in the hospital two weeks after being struck by a motor vehicle in Hooksett, NH. What are her rights? What are the options to her family?
First, a petition for estate administration at the probate court should be established in order to have an entity able to speak on behalf of this young teenager.
Second, while the automobile insurance company for the responsible party may be speaking to the family and advising that they will take care of bills, the family should look into their own insurance policies as well.
We strongly recommend that the family obtain legal advice, at least a consultation, to discuss their options and rights. That usually could be accomplished at no charge to the family. There are several sources of recovery.
We would look to the liability insurance policy for the individual operating the vehicle and any other policies that this individual may have coverage under.
Additionally, the teenager would be covered under her parents’ liability policy under the uninsured motorist coverage area. That would be true for both the policy for her mother and perhaps the policy for her divorced father. If the parents have joint custody, for example, then the youth may actually have two residences.
In addition to medical bills, funeral, and other such expenses, the estate for the decedent is entitled to receive recovery for lost earnings in life and most importantly the loss of the enjoyment of living.
An insurance claim is never a substitute for not being injured at all. But when the worst happens, make certain that the decedent received what she deserved.
If you have received appointment as executor of a will and made formal acceptance before a probate judge, you may have to post an “executor” or “fiduciary” bond as a pledge of your good faithRead More